Tuesday, April 17, 2012

5k training day two PLUS a DIY antique planter

Today was day two of training for my 5k race. I officially have legs of jello but I feel great. I never understood my friends and family who said they LOVE the feeling after running or working out in general. Everytime I worked out I just felt tired. I know what they mean now - I feel empowered, motivated, and even more determined to keep up with it. Yesterday I signed up for the race too, so I really can't back out now even if I wanted to. Even more determination to look and feel great! I just need to find some workouts to do at home or on the days I don't train. Do you have any suggestions or workouts you do to tone up?

I also took advantage of a day off and I worked on my garden a bit. Did some weeding, replanted some flowers, cleaned up a bit. A while back, my husband and I went antiquing (a new found love of mine! who knew there was so much cool stuff out there that you can revamp into your own?!) to find a window pane for a table we made - I will show you that another day. While looking around, we found this really beautiful wooden barrel that we were both immediately drawn to. What it was used for? I have no idea. However, the barrel was in great condition and we knew we wanted to use it somehow. We brought it home and really couldn't find a use for it inside our house. Kingston loved it as a hideout spot though.


Then I decided to make it into a planter! It was super easy and looks great by our door. First I used a clear spar urethane gloss spray to protect the wood from the sun, temperature changes and moisture. I used a brand called Helmsman, comes in a green can and I got it at walmart in the paint section with the stains and polyurethane. I did three light coats both inside and out. The only thing this, it turned the wood slightly more amber, but I thought the finish was great. I let that dry outside overnight.


I then drilled 7 small holes on the bottom for proper drainage. Proper drainage is essential for potted plants to grow beautiful and healthy!


To ensure the barrel was protected from the moisture of the soil and water I lined the inside with a 9 x 13 heavy duty plastic drop cloth. Of course I didn't use the whole thing, so I cut it in half. I'll have the rest for a small room I want to paint or maybe another planter one day! I made sure the drop cloth went down to the bottom of the barrel and it's pressing against the inside of it, so that way I'm getting the most room out of my container. Also, I cut holes in the drop cloth where I made the drill holes on the bottom so that way they line up.


I cut the excess plastic but made sure to leave some over the edge. I didn't want to pour the soil in and have the drop cloth slip on the inside. Then I planted my flowers! I wanted something a little taller, so I did lilies in the back (one of my favorite flowers!), dahilas in the middle (another one of my favorites!) and accent plants in the front (I used creeping jenny, I believe)


When I was finished planting, I finally trimmed up the rest of the plastic so that was it was flush with the top of the barrel. You can see a little bit of the plastic from the outside, but I know that the accent plants will grow over the sides and the dahilas will get more leaves so I am not sweating it.


This is the end result! I am thrilled with it and I am happy I got to turn something antique into something new! This would also be great with an old wooden milk crate as well, maybe for herbs or veggies? I can't wait to find more hidden treasures and give them a little pick me up! :)

- Laura



1 comment:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones